Powered By

Free XML Skins for Blogger

Powered by Blogger

Mar 28, 2008

Liberal Friday - Health Care for Every American

First off, I want to thank BoBo for having me guest post on this blog. Though him and I have differing opinions on many things when it comes to politics, we both seem to have a mutual respect for one another, and for that, I also want to thank him.

I picked a difficult topic today. Mostly because it is controversial and I believe, at least from the candidate in which I have chosen to support, he, Barack Obama, seeks to give us both what we want. A universal health care plan that does not restrict those that already have it, nor does it greatly hinder anyone by raising taxes for the general public.

Before we get started, however, I ask that you lay down your prejudice and read what I have to say with an open mind.

With that out of the way, I hear a lot of “conservative” folk speak out against “universal” healthcare, saying, “Don’t I have the right to choose my own healthcare?” My answer to that is, Yes. Yes you do. So do the rest of Americans. One of the reasons I like Barack Obama’s health care plan is because it does not stop you from picking whatever health care you prefer. In fact, it does not even change anything for you if you have healthcare already, except it will save you up to 2,500 dollars annually. Who doesn’t want to save money? I sure do.

Another thing I hear is “People shouldn’t be given free handouts,” which I do agree with, for the most part. There are of course, those special cases. However, no one is really asking for a “free handout.” This is a common misconception that irks me. What people are asking for is help, a way for the majority of Americans, those who are working hard, but still cannot or do not have healthcare, typically because the company that employees them does not offer it. To counter this dilemma, Barack Obama’s healthcare plan reduces the cost of insurance so it is affordable for all Americans.

How you ask? “The insurance business today is dominated by a small group of large companies that has been gobbling up their rivals. There have been over 400 health care mergers in the last 10 years, and just two companies dominate a full third of the national market. These changes were supposed to make the industry more efficient, but instead premiums have skyrocketed by over 87 percent.” (Obama 2008) The Obama plan will prohibit this type of monopoly from functioning, which will force the companies to offer the lower rates to Americans that they do for other countries.

This will also lower the cost of prescription drugs for Everyone. It also prohibits being denied for care because of “Pre-existing conditions.”

There is a lot to the Obama health care plan, but it strives to work for the people and that includes you as well. I urge you to read his health care plan policy before insisting it is a terrible thing. In fact, if you do not agree with his plan, you can contact him and tell him why and what you would change.

Here’s the link to read his plan in some more detail – http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

Want to make suggestions and help improve the plan after you’ve read it? – You can do that here - http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/mypolicy

You see, one of my favorite things about Barack Obama is that his plans are not just for us democrats/liberals, they are for everyone. He works with Dem’s and Republicans alike in order to build the most effective plans for everyone, because, as he says, there is no red state and no blue state, no liberal America and conservative America, there is only the United States of America.

I've added this in after the original post because I think it talks about some of the issues brought up in the comments below, though not entirely. Thanks for reading!

Sphere: Related Content

 
Charm Skins

ss_blog_claim=5319c3663e46abb35c5c746660daad6c